Happy New Year, Vortainer’s! It’s 2019, and that’s still hard to believe. Nevertheless, here’s hoping this is a good one for each and every one of you. We’re certainly going to be working hard on making 2019 the best year for Vortainment.com.
We’ve got new features (of the monthly and weekly variety), reviews, videos, streams and more coming this year. And we’re kicking it all off today with this new monthly feature: TOP PICKS – Your Entertainment Spending Guide For January 2019.
Each month, we’ll post TOP PICKS on the first Tuesday of the month. This is where we break down the games and movies releasing in a given month and let you know which ones we think will be worth spending hard earned money on.
With the introduction out of the way, let’s dive into our TOP PICKS for January 2019 starting with our favorite topic… the video games.
TOP GAME RELEASES FOR JANUARY 2019
Gaming is getting off to a bit of a slow start in 2019. There’s only one big release this month, and that’s our TOP PICK…
KINGDOM HEARTS III
Fans of this Final Fantasy x Disney franchise have long been waiting for this game. It’s been 13 years since the last big release title in the franchise (Kingdom Hearts 2 for PS2 back in 2005) on a console. Fans have had to make due over the years with mobile games for phones, DS/3DS and PSP.
The wait is just about over though, as Kingdom Hearts III releases on January 29th for PS4 and Xbox One.
This Action RPG picks up where 2012’s DS title Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance left off. Sora, Donald Duck, and Goofy travel across Disney and Pixar worlds in a quest to stop the Heartless from taking over the universe.
Kingdom Hearts III costs $59.99 (standard edition) and is available for pre-order now. If you’re a Prime member, pre-order on Amazon.com to receive a $10 Credit.
Other TOP PICKS releasing this month include:
- Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition is coming to coming to PC, PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch on January 11th. This Definitive Edition is bringing full HD graphics, new music tracks, new min-games, new bosses, and a collection of unreleased costume DLC. Tales of Vesperia is available for pre-order now for $49.99 on Amazon.com.
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe hits Nintendo Switch on January 11th. Deluxe brings both New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U to the Switch along with new playable characters that are “optimized for younger and less-experienced players,” and bonus content. There’s 164 courses for players to platform through and fun for the whole family. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe is available for pre-order from Amazon for $59.99.
- The Resident Evil 2 remake lands on PC, PS4 and Xbox One on January 25th. Assume the role of police rookie Leon Kennedy and college student Claire Redfield and attempt to escape Raccoon City and the zombie hordes. This remake features Resident Evil 4 style over-the-shoulder, third-person shooting gameplay. Resident Evil 2 is available for pre-order from Amazon for $59.99 where you’ll also receive Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine’s signature Samurai Edge handguns.
Disclosure: The above links are Amazon Affiliate links. If you use any of them, know that you’re helping to support Vortainment.com.
TOP MOVIE RELEASES FOR JANUARY 2019
This month sees a couple of potentially really good movies hitting theaters, or at least a couple that look good enough to be excited about. We’re kicking it off with our TOP PICK…
M.Night Shyamalan concludes his comic-book thriller trilogy that brings together 2000’s “Unbreakable” and 2016’s hit “Split.”
“Glass” stars Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson, reprising their “Unbreakable” roles of David Dunn and Elijah “Mr. Glass” Price respectively, and James McAvoy and Anya Taylor-Joy, reprising their “Split” roles of Kevin Wendell Crumb and Casey Cooke.
Dunn, Price and Kevin all find themselves patients of an asylum psychiatrist (Sarah Paulson) who specializes in individuals who believe they have superpowers.
“Glass” hits theaters on January 18th and is rated PG-13 for violence, thematic elements, and language.
Other TOP PICKS hitting theaters this month are:
- Escape Room stars Taylor Russell, Deborah Ann Woll and Logan Miller in a psychological thriller about six strangers who find themselves in circumstances beyond their control and must use their wits to survive. “Escape Room” hits theaters on January 4th.
- The Upside stars Bryan Cranston, Kevin Hart and Nicole Kidman in an English remake of the French film “The Intouchables.” The film chronicles the unexpected friendship between Phillip Lacasse (Cranston), a Park Avenue billionaire left paralyzed after a hang-gliding accident, and convicted felon Dell (Hart), recently released from prison and in need of a job and a fresh start. “The Upside” hits theaters on January 11th.
- Serenity stars Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway in a thriller from Steven Knight. Baker Dill (McConaughey) is a fishing boat captain leading tours off a tranquil, tropical enclave. His quiet life is shattered when his ex-wife Karen (Hathaway) tracks him down with a desperate plea for help. She begs Dill to save her – and their young son – from her new, violent husband (Jason Clarke) by taking him out to sea on a fishing excursion, only to throw him to the sharks and leave him for dead. Karen’s appearance thrusts Dill back into a life he’d tried to forget, and as he struggles between right and wrong, his world is plunged into a new reality that may not be all that it seems. “Serenity” hits theaters on January 25th.
And that’s our TOP PICKS for new releases in gaming and at the movies for this month.
Did we leave a game or movie off that you’re excited about? Let us know in the comments below and tell us why you think it should’ve been a top pick.
Our TOP PICKS for February 2019 will hit the site on February 5th. If there’s something you’re looking forward to releasing next month, be sure to let us know about that too.